In today’s episode, we speak with Nathan Nowack, a professional photographer and 1/3 of the Janchi Bois! Nathan discusses his life growing up adopted in Tulsa, OK, the journey of finding his biological family, and finding love in Los Angeles with a fellow Asian country music lover. We learn how Nathan got to this point in his life, and what he’s most excited about exploring next.
We also try Kimchi for the first time. It’s pretty great.
Meet Nathan Nowack
In this episode we talk about:
- Intro, Basic Details and Background, & Realizing You’re Korean (0:00)
- Dad as a Role Model, Asian Identity, & Searching for Birth Family (7:25)
- Finding Siblings & Nathan’s Korean Name (20:05)
- doljanchi, Navigating Familial Cultures, & Dating! (26:12)
- What Nathan’s Learning Now (37:06)
- What Are We Eating Today? (44:50)
// Follow the Show!
- Online at janchishow.com
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
A Quick Janchi Show Bio
We’re three Korean-American Adoptees spread out around the country and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean-American adoptee experience and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
Connect with Patrick!
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
Connect with K.J.!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
// Listen to/Watch The Janchi Show on all major platforms:
- Apple: http://apple.janchishow.com
- Spotify: http://spotify.janchishow.com
- Youtube: http://youtube.janchishow.com
// Join the Asian Podcast Network:
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
// The Janchi Show is produced by Just Like Media:
Executive Producer: Jerry Won
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke