On today’s show, we speak with Molly Enelow! Molly talks about her experience as a Korean adoptee growing up in the DMV (#IYKYK, if you don’t…you will) with a number of other adoptees and how that experience led her to explore her Korean identity at 19. She also talks about being a scuba instructor turned medical assistant during the pandemic, and how that has helped shape her outlook beyond 2020!
Later, Juliet Blake of Hello Korea Box joins us as we open up her December box of Korean treats! Very exciting! Very fun! Very nice!
- Intros, Growing Up in the DMV, and Louie!: 1:00
- Adoptee Diversity in Bethesda & Dealing with Racism: 27:00
- Starting the Journey & What Molly’s Enjoyed Most: 30:30
- From Scuba Instruction to Medical Assistant During a Pandemic: 45:00
- Hello Korea Box with Juliet Blake!: 56:27
- Hello Korea Box!
- Use promo code JANCHI15 to save 15% on your next Hello Korea Box!
- Janchi Show Afterparty
- Online at janchishow.com (with exclusive blog posts!)
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean-American Adoptees spread out around the country and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean-American adoptee experience and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke