In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys sit down with Liz Kleinrock from the Instagram account @teachandtransform and talk about all things adoption. Liz shares her story and the journey she took from growing up in DC to reckoning with her identities and how each of those unique things intersect in some powerful ways. She also talks about how that journey has influenced her work in education, translating her experiences into a perspective-based learning environment for her students.
Later, we get DRUNK.
@teachandtransform on Instagram
- Pre-order Liz’s new book! Start Here, Start Now: A Guide to Antibias and Antiracist Work in Your School Community
- Liz’s Website
- Catching up with the Janchi Bois: 0:00
- Liz’s Adoption Story: 14:35
- Wrestling with Identity: 17:01
- Raised Jewish: 18:42
- Reclaiming Identity: 25:20
- Living in Korea: 26:50
- Surprise! At the Adoption Agency: 30:17
- Rage Against the System: 38:13
- Engaging with Adoptees: 41:12
- Anti-bias Education Process: 43:34
- New Book! 46:44
- Final Adoption Question: 49:54
- Mákku & Lunar! 54:05
- IS THAT THE JERRY WON????
// Support/Follow the Show!
- Online at janchishow.com
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean-American Adoptees spread out around the country and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean-American adoptee experience and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
Connect with Patrick!
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke