In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys sit down with Jen Frederick and talk about her journey as an adoptee and her upcoming book, Heart & Seoul! Jen shares about growing up in Wisconsin, going back to Korea, and the journey towards self-love. We also discuss how her adoptee experience informed Heart & Seoul’s protagonist, Hara, and why her story is the one we need right now.
Later, the bois eat a food and talk (book)shop about Heart & Seoul!
- Intro: How Do We Do The Show Again?: 0:00
- Welcome, Jen Frederick!: 5:35
- Growing Up in Small Towns: 8:56
- Back to Korea + Connecting with the People: 11:47
- Learning Korean: 16:49
- Heart & Seoul: How It Happened: 21:01
- Releasing During #APAHM: 30:09
- The Research + Loving Korea: 35:30
- Sidebar: K-Dramas: 37:18
- Engaging with the Adoptee Community: 39:15
- The Journey of Self-Love: 40:24
- Recap!: 50:59
// Support/Follow the Show!
- Online at janchishow.com
- Support the show at janchishow.com/support
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean Adoptees spread out around America and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean adoptee experience from our perspectives and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
Connect with Patrick!
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
Connect with K.J.!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke