In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys sit down with the Korean Culture Dictionary and talk about Ramyun and Rice Cakes.
But before that, Patrick shares an experience where he gets a surprisingly intimate haircut…is this normal?!
- Intro: 1:21
- Patrick’s Intimate Haircut: 4:51
- KJ’s Korean Hairstylist & 선생님 (seonsaengnim): 11:48
- Practicing Korean in the Wild: 14:01
- Food things: Rice Cakes: 19:55
- Why is the Korean Rainbow (mujigae/무지개) different? 22:20
- Makgeolli (막걸리) Rice Cake: 25:09
- Shinto Buri: 25:51
- Ramyun: 27:52
- That Time Jerry Yelled at KJ: 29:26
- K.F.C.: 29:59
- Food! 35:31
- Online at janchishow.com
- Support the show at janchishow.com/support
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean Adoptees spread out around America and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean adoptee experience from our perspectives and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
Connect with Patrick!
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. After spending a decade in the Midwest for college and career, he and his wife are back in Dallas and living large! He has been on his journey of discovery since 2015 and you can find him online to see what he’s up to now!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke